1
Timișoara Orthodox Cathedral
B-dul 16 Decembrie 1989, Timisoara Driving directions
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

6am-8pm

Description

Built by Ion Traianescu between 1936 and 1940, this brick building blends neo-Byzantine and neo-Romanian styles along the lines of Moldavian churches. Rising 83m above the city, its bell tower has a renowned carillon of seven bells weighing a total of 8t, its harmony arranged by composer Sabin Dragoi. It has since 1956 housed the relics of the Banat's patron saint, John of Partos. Born in Dubrovnik in 1568, this Mount Athos monk became metropolitan of Timisoara in 1650.

Localisation

  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

  • The Green Guide
    211 m - Piaţa Victoriei, Timisoara
  • The Green Guide
    544 m - Piaţa Libertăţii, Timisoara
  • The Green Guide
    765 m - Piaţa Unirii / Stradă Mercy, Timisoara

Where to sleepnearby