Phelps-Hatheway House
55 South Main Street, Suffield 06078 Driving directions
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

guided tour - May-Oct: weekends 1pm-4pm - closed Bank Hols

Description

The house, actually three structures in one, owes its present size to Oliver Phelps, a merchant and land speculator who acquired the property in 1788. Phelps enlarged the main section of the house (c.1760) by adding a single-story structure to the south end. About 1795 Phelps had the Federal-style north wing built. The central section is simple and functional, furnished with William and Mary and Queen Anne pieces. In contrast, the Federal wing is elegant, decorated with Adamesque ornamentation and fine Hepplewhite, Sheraton and Chippendale furnishings. The original 18C hand-blocked French wallpapers in the Federal wing add a special touch to the house.

Localisation

  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

Where to sleepnearby