Zuihoden iriguchi, Sendai Driving directions
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

9am-4.30pm (4pm Dec-Jan)


Zuiho-den Mausoleum was built for general Date Masamune in the year after his death (1636) at the top of a hill. It was inspired by Nikko's famous Tosho-gu Mausoleum, built between 1634 and 1636. It was destroyed during the 1945 bombings then reconstructed almost identically in the 1970s, although concrete replaced the original wood. The lavishly gilded edifice adorned with colourful sculpture is nonetheless worth the journey.


  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

Where to sleepnearby