Lacolle River Blockhouse
1 rue Principale, Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix J0J 1G0 Driving directions
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

mid May-3rd week Jun and mid Sep-mid Oct: weekends 10am-5.30pm; end Jun-early Sep: daily 10am-5.30pm

Description

This log structure was built in 1781 as part of the British defence system to repel American invasion. Standing on the banks of the Lacolle River, a tributary of the Richelieu, it is the only defence of its type remaining in Quebec. During the war of 1812, it withstood attack on three occasions, and bullet holes are still visible. Note the loopholes for muskets and the openings for cannons.

Localisation

  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

Where to sleepnearby